Special Olympics Tennessee
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
Amy Parker, VP of Marketing & Development, Special Olympics Tennessee, discusses an international program of year-round sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
- Supports 36 Area Programs that include all Tennessee counties
- Over 17,000 Special Olympics athletes are registered in the Tennessee program
- More than 250 local competitions and events are held each year in Tennessee
- Offers full participation for every athlete regardless of his or her economic circumstances
- Free for all participants
- We are MORE than sports
For many of the athletes, Special Olympics is their only hope – their only chance to participate in sport, to experience joy, to receive basic health care and to be part of their communities. Through Special Olympics, their lives change radically. They discover inner strength and capabilities that change their minds about their own self-worth, and the minds of everyone around them.
Learn more: http://www.specialolympicstn.org/