Best Buddies of Tennessee and the Power of One-To-One Friendships
Host Jeremy C. Park talks with Morgan Tansey, Deputy Director, Programs and Opportunities with Best Buddies of Tennessee, who highlights the organization’s history and efforts to establish a volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. During the interview, Morgan discusses their school based programs that start in PreK and extend through college, their Citizens program for adults and ways the community can get engaged, like their upcoming Friendship Walk on May 1, 2022 from 1-4p at Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Mission: To establish a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
- Overview of Best Buddies programs in TN, especially Greater Nashville area. This includes highlighting our school friendship chapters, adult friendship program, and our Jobs program.
- Our school based programs start in PreK and extend through college.
- Currently in TN we have 95 school chapters, over 3500 participants across the state, and over 1100 friendship pairs. We have an adult friendship program, Citizens, for participants who are 18 years and up.
- Overview of how the school chapters operate.
- Overview of Citizens program.
- Additionally, BBTN has 53 jobs employees, and a variety of employer partners.
- Currently, our biggest volunteer need is Citizens Peer volunteers. We have a waitlist to get individuals with IDD matched in the program. The application process is quick and easy! Interested volunteers need to complete an online application, a background check, and an interest survey!
- As an organization, we are also always looking for interested parents, students, and educators who would like to open a chapter at their school.
- Anyone interested in learning more can contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upcoming Events: Friendship Walk
- May 1st from 1-4 pm at Montgomery Bell Academy
- This event is open to the community- anyone is welcome to attend! Register at https://www.bestbuddiesfriendshipwalk.org/nashville/