Community Legal Center, a non-profit law firm in Memphis, Tennessee, has an immediate opening for a full-time Staff Attorney to serve with our Immigrant Justice Program under the direction of the IJP Director. This is a one-year fellowship position with emphasis on providing legal services to Afghan nationals who were paroled into the U.S. through the OAW/OAR program and resettled in Tennessee.
Community Legal Center, a non-profit law firm in Memphis, Tennessee, has an immediate opening for a full-time Staff Attorney to serve with our Immigrant Justice Program. The Staff Attorney will serve under the direction of the Immigrant Justice Program Director to provide legal representation before the Department of Homeland Security, Memphis Immigration Court, and the Board of Immigration Appeals.
• Currently admitted and in good standing with a state bar (Tennessee preferred)
• Juris Doctor (J.D.), required
• Strong interpersonal, communication, advocacy, and organizational skills
• Ability to work with Microsoft Office, Google suite, and strong computer skills
• Prior experience in immigration law and procedure (preferred)
• Spanish fluency (preferred)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Screen and conduct initial consultations with potential clients to screen for available immigration relief and program eligibility;
• Provide direct legal services to individuals, including children, on a variety of humanitarian and family-based immigration matters, including removal defense before the Memphis Immigration Court;
• Supervise volunteers, interns, and law school externs as requested;
• Prepare and submit monthly statistics;
• Assist the IJP Director and Executive Director in compiling data and preparing reports as requested;
• Participate regularly and productively in organizational meetings, including strategy meetings to develop effective outreach, media, and advocacy plans;
• Participate in activities to promote programs and initiatives for CLC and/or with organizational allies;
• Prepares for and presents educational programs, including Continuing Legal Education seminars, in small and large group settings as requested;
• Support special events that impact the program and fundraising activities;
• Attend mandatory trainings and calls;
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Compensation & Benefits
• This is a full-time position is based in Memphis, Tennessee.
• Salary range $50,000 – $55,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• CLC offers health insurance, paid time off, holidays, including a one week holiday in December, access to supplemental insurance, free access to an employee assistance program, as well as the opportunity to participate in health-care and dependent-care FSAs.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Emily Stotts, Immigrant Justice Program Director, at EmilyS@clcmemphis.org. Successful completion of a criminal background check will be required before a formal offer may be extended.